Thursday, February 18, 2010

YOGA!

ok so i've been slacking, but that just means there are so many fun stories to come! i've been taking notes in word documents so don't worry i won't forget to blog about all the fun i'm having....but here's the first section from ohhh 2 weeks ago.

2 Fridays ago: service was tough, I napped with the pillow on my head, woke up 2 hours later, (which is a miracle!) I had wanted to check out Carolina park- a place booming with life on the weekends. My host mom said that no one goes there on the weekdays, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to check it out and at least it would be a good spot for a jog. But since I actually napped it was too late to go to the park so instead I went to yoga.  A while back I remembered highlighting a yoga place that sounded cool, and even tho it was kind of far away I wanted to go on an adventure, and it needed to be something indoors since it was already after 4.

I wanted to take the bus but I thought that would take too long, but it was coming up to rush hour so that didn’t matter too much. Taxi metro gypped me which is the meter for the car-he reset it so he could charge me a little more but it wasn’t a lot so whatever. Then came the act of finding the place. I asked around, but Quito changed its addresses a while back so I had the old address-thanks lonely planet haha. I asked lots of people, and tried to call the place but the number didn’t work. It took me a half hour to find it, lots of ppl were super sweet with directions-I went back to buy Gatorade from one woman who was really sweet and took her time explaining it to me. I also ran into a woman who I asked for help once when I was asking someone else and she couldn’t fathom how I hadn’t found it yet.  I went upstairs, nervous about awkwardly entering a yoga class right in the middle but it hadn’t even started yet! Since I was in the best place in Quito to get robbed, I was a little uneasy leaving my flashy Nike sneakers in the hallway but nothing ever happened.

The instructor was a really nice man, but again, awkward-was I about to start an hour long Krishna yoga class with a stranger? But, as luck would have it, a cute, semi-older couple joined us and we were on our way. The usual stretching, with some sweating but I didn’t notice as much bc I always sweat here now. He took the time to teach me and make sure I understood what he was saying, there was a cool Hindu accordian thing and we chanted the Krishna words. I definitely wanna go back, even though it took an hour there and an hour home but it was so worth it. I took the bus back like a rebel, (because it was dark) and packed for Saturday.

next: Cotopaxi...

3 comments:

  1. Hey let's get some updates!!!

    love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crazy ecuadorian yogi you! :)sounds great!

    ReplyDelete