Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Scholarship Letter

Ok so I had to write up some info for SMC's publicist and for the lovely man that is funding a scholarship for me to monetarily help out my service! I figured I'd share it...


Hello All

I wanted to talk a little bit about my service, as I think I have had enough experience to finally be able to describe it.

I am volunteering a short 5 minute walk from my host family’s house in Quito, Ecuador at Fundación Integrar, a program for children with disabilities.  This program is in the first floor of a house, with the bedrooms and living room converted into classrooms, a physical therapy room, an office, and a playroom.

There are kids of all ages, from 5 to 46, some with Cerebral Palsy, some with Down Syndrome, and some with other challenges. The kids pay a fee monthly, but this fee changes depending on the family’s financial status. I am in the process of learning more about the social aspects of this foundation, but I have had meetings and conversations with some of the other women who work there full time about the physical and mental needs of the children.

I volunteer 3 days a week because of my academic schedule. Mondays from 8-10 am I help in the classroom with the older kids. Last week we painted doorknob decorations, and then we walked to a nearby park and played basketball.

Wednesdays everyone piles into an “escolar” or school bus, which is more like a school van. We drive about 35 minutes to Cumbaya, and ride horses as a method of therapy for the kids, called Hippo therapy. Sometimes, I walk alongside the kids and make sure they don’t fall if they are a slightly unstable alone, and other times I ride the horse behind the kids.  I especially enjoy this, because I talk to the kids, sing to them, and try to get them acclimated by moving their arms around. Most of the kids are unable to speak, but sometimes they make noises and it is so fulfilling to hear them get excited.

Fridays I spend the whole day at the center.  Last week one of the teachers was sick, so I helped with the youngest group. We “sang” songs together, presented ourselves with name, age, family, location of house, what we like to do etc, and colored. Most of these activities are a little too advanced for the children, so I am going to try to implement new ideas from my experience with kids with disabilities in New York and Vermont. I worked in BOCES, a school in New York two summers ago and learned a lot about educating and working with children with disabilities.  I am also a student leader of Best Buddies at SMC. I hope my experience will be able to help the other teachers.

With the scholarship, I hope to purchase things for the foundation. I am weary of handing the money over because one of the other volunteers says the secretary is always complaining about needing more money, but she (the volunteer) never knows where it all goes.  I mentioned that I wanted to buy toilet paper, soap, and wet wipes, but my boss said those are the responsibility of the families each year. The house is lacking in these necessities, however, so I might buy some when I have the money anyway.

One of the volunteers and I were talking about the lack of healthy food in the diets of the children, so we might do cooking classes or sponsor snack time with our own fruits and vegetables sometimes.

I want to buy a new walker for a young man named Javier, but apparently my boss is talking to the government right now to get a walker for him and a new wheelchair for another student. If this takes too long, however, I may also purchase one on my own. I already have multiple addresses for medical supply stores.

My boss mentioned that they need a new radio to play songs so the kids can dance, so I definitely will help with that. They also would like more computer programs and toys with lights and sounds to stimulate the children who cannot speak. I also hope to throw out and replace numerous toys and puzzles, as well as arts and crafts supplies. A lot of these things are dirty, old, and missing parts.

Part of the scholarship will aide in my transportation.  Since I have class on Wednesdays, I take a taxi from the horse therapy to school. I am lucky it is so close to my University, otherwise I would not be able to assist with this fun and enriching activity. I will also use some money to purchase a sweat suit that all the kids, teachers, and volunteers wear at the foundation, which will allow me to look and feel a part of the community.

I have enclosed a few pictures of me riding a horse with Alexander in my SMC M.O.V.E. t shirt as well as a picture of some of the students singing and dancing together in the playroom.

Thank you so much for this opportunity. I wasn’t sure exactly what to say in this email so if you have questions please ask! I would love to share as much about my experience as I can.

Sincerely,

Katherine Hackett


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's awesome! Way to get the preggo tears flowing first thing in the morning! I'm SO PROUD of you!

    ReplyDelete